Sunday, August 31, 2014

Playing with Frosting @ Vanilla Bean Gourmet Cupcakes - Sacramento, CA


©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.
The cupcake phenomenon totally intrigues me, nowhere in the world I have seen a wedding cake being replaced by these treats, or stores where they only sell them. They do have a very special place in the American life. They are used in birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, parties, etc.

This is not the first, and only time that I am going to address the cupcake phenomenon in The Pink Macaroon. I have to confess that I have never made a cupcake. I have eaten them, mainly from coworkers that decided to bring their culinary experiments into the office. I have never eaten a professional cupcake before attending the Frosting Decorating Class at Vanilla Bean Gourmet Cupcakes. No wonder these portable treats are so popular!!


 
©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.
I found this class through Groupon.The class is one hour and half long, and it is held at their retail store location. Carlos and Patricia are the owners. Very nice and lovely couple. Patricia explained to us how the cupcake adventure started.

 Carlos worked in construction, and when the house bubble exploded  he lost his job. Patricia as well lost her job (she had a corporate job). They decided to rent their house, and move into Patricia's parent's house basement. In this basement Vanilla Bean Gourmet Cupcake was born. 

©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.
I love their story. The fact that Carlos and Patricia re-invented themselves is admirable. Patricia is the Owner and Instructor. She is very passionate, lively, helpful and I can tell a very happy person. Carlos is the Pastry Chef and Owner. He was not doing the class, however he was making sure we had enough chairs, all the toppings were in place, and he was also baking in the back. 

The store does not do retail anymore, however they do classes, as well as catering, weddings, corporate gifts, customs orders etc. 

©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.
We learned a couple of techniques on how to do flowers, and we even had the treat to be able to do some Fondant Roses. Some of the ladies were smart enough to bring aprons, because it can get messy. 

❤ I loved Patricia's energy. It is very contagious. She made the decoration seem easy, and it is actually harder that it looks. 
❤ I found the Fondant technique challenging, however if it is mastered, it can deliver very romantic and beautiful cupcakes.
❤ The techniques that we learned with the frosting decoration were very simple, yet strikingly beautiful.
❤ We had plenty of supplies. I liked the fact that Patricia is not wasteful with them. 
❤ Their Lemon curd is to die for. I give it three ❤.
❤ These techniques are very versatile, good for cupcakes as well as cakes, and other deserts.

We decorated three cupcakes. I did two with lemon curd inside, and the amount of frosting was perfect for me. I did one without it to fully taste their cupcake, which I ate before the class finished (It was crying out: "eat me"). It was a very good cupcake, fresh, moist and light. I went to the class to learned how they do it, and I learned.  

If you love cupcakes, want to buy or want to learn. I totally recommend Vanilla Bean Gourmet. Check out their website which by the way I think it is absolutely beautiful. Not only they have many flavors to choose from, but they also have low sugar,  gluten free and vegan cupcakes. Their prices are very affordable as well. 

Bon Appétit et À bientôt!!!
xoxo
❤ Natalia ❤

Meet the Lovely Patricia (Owner & Instructor)
©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.

©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.

©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.

©2014 The Pink Macaroon. All rights reserved.








Vanilla Bean Gourmet Cupcakes
Located in Midtown next to Safeway on the corner of S and 19th St.
1809 S Street #103, Sacramento, CA
Shop Telephone      916.498.9566
Open daily in Sacramento: 11am to 10pm

http://www.vanillabeangourmet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment